Date:      Wed, 28 May 2014 16:38:00 +0200
From:      Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To:        <spankthespam@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disappearing programs: Is FreeBSD ports unmaintained?

Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Joerg,
>
> The only problem is that if such port is unmaintained (its maintainer email
> address is ports@freebsd.org) there's no one who could do such thing,
> because commiters are busy working on the entire ports tree, and apparently
> no one from maintainers was interested in the port to do so. If you are,
> submit a PR with setting yourself as a maintainer, and then you can take
> care of the ports updates and adjustment to changing and evolving ports
> tree.

I am supplying people with the portable source code. That should be suffucient.
Given the fact that there is no FreeBSD related bugreport against star or smake,
I assume that you would get the code to compile if you just use a recent
_unmodified_ source.

I encourage you to remove the FreeBSD specific patches that do not seem to
serve a need but affect portability.

There have been recent surce updates for smake and star that include even
special workarounds for the problems caused by clang.

Jörg

       js@cs.tu-berlin.de                (uni)