Date:      26 Jun 2000 12:34:04 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Annoying reverse hylighting in `more' 4.0-STsnap0624

Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 07:51:31AM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> >
> > I think this is a continueing problem since my first brush with bsd
> > some mnths ago with 3.2-RELEASE.  Quit playing with it for several
> > mnths and now installed from 4.0-STABLE  snap 06/24
> >
> > I still see unwanted and seemingly random highlighting when opening
> > man pages with `more', lots of it.
> >

> You mean doing ``man <command> | more''? There is no need to use
> more(1) man(1) pages automatically (using more(1) unless $PAGER is set
> to something else.

No, I mean in the normal way a manpage is viewed like:
`man vi'.  Apparently `more' is the default man page viewer since this
is a brandnew install and I'v made almost no changes yet.

I don't see any problems when using more like: `more file'
or dmesg|more

> What exactly do you mean by "seemingly random highlighting" and is
> this in an xterm or the console. If it's the latter it is because

By random I mean I see no pattern to what is being highlighted.

In console mode ( I don't have X setup yet) and with stock new install
env settings.  (echo $TERM  cons25)

Examples: (Using "*"  to indicate highlights)
man vi shows:

  VI(1)							    VI(1)

  NAME
         ex, vi, view - text editors

  SYNOPSIS
         ex [-eFGRrSsv] [-c *cmd*] [-t *tag*] [-w *size*] [file ...]
         vi [-eFGlRrSv] [-c *cmd*] [-t *tag*] [-w *size*] [file ...]
         view [-eFGRrSv] [-c *cmd*] [-t *tag*] [-w *size*] [file ...]

[NOTE -ed some of the stuff in brackets but not all]
 Lots more through out the page.

man emacs:

  EMACS(1)						 EMACS(1)

  NAME
         emacs - GNU project Emacs

  SYNOPSIS
         emacs [ *command-line* *switches* ] [ *files* *...*  ]

  DESCRIPTION
         *GNU*  *Emacs* is a version of *Emacs*, written by the author of
         the original (PDP-10) *Emacs*, Richard Stallman.
         The primary documentation of GNU Emacs is in the GNU Emacs
         Manual, which you can read on line using Info, a subsystem
         of Emacs.  Please look there for complete  and  up-to-date

[NOTE: In the synopsis area everything inside brackets is individually
highligted with unhighlited space beteen.  In the Description part,
line one and two have the indicated highlites (Emacs) but not elsewhere
in that paragraph... That is what I mean by `seemingly Random']

> there is no settings for underlining in the termcap entry for cons25.
> I can let you know how to change this if that is the problem.

Sounds like it is, but not sure why underlining would occur in such
a random  way either.