Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:12:30 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@eboa.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum versus abit

For this new system I'm building intended to server a lot of sorta
small sites I was planning to use vinum over 2 IBM 80 GB disks
for the data. System on a 3.x GB SCSI drive.

But then we recently saw this discussion regarding IDE RAID's go
by as well that I saw some adds for e.g. abit's KT7-RAID.

So now I'm wondering. Given that I care about 1. security without
backups and 2. speed what can I expect from such a board (or card).

I can imagine it would be a tad more efficient than a software only
solution and maybe faster as well. But...

Does it come with FreeBSD support so that when a disk goes (hopefully
only one at a time :) I can resync the new disk without further ado?

For that, for me, is crucial above speed. Those d*d things break
down on the most awkward times. Usually when there are all sorts
of deadlines going on. So I need an easy to fix system.

Any suggestions?

Roelof