Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:13:20 +0200 (METDST)
From:      MEMPHISTO <szoli@caesar.elte.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD crash

Hello,

 I'm writing this letter, because I "succesfully" crashed my FreeBSD system with
a Windows NT and an OPeNSTEP on my machine. I installed Caldera's OpenDOS to
replace an existing version of it. I knew it would ruin Windows NT's bootstrapper,
but I thought that as earlier I can correct it by the 'repair Windows NT' in
the WinNT install or simply saving the C: partition's bootsector and, after the
install replacing the original bootsector to its original place. I chose the
second way. After doing it, the NT couldn't boot, because of "incorrect boot
device".
Then I tried to boot both of the BSD's (Openstep and FreeBSD) but they couldn't
boot, too, and it seems like, that FreeBSD has lost its disklabel
infromation (I tried to fix it with the FreeBSD boot/fixit disks, but I didn't
succeed, I even couldn't mount the DOS partition). I use a FreeBSD RELEASE-2.1.5.
The harddisk is a QUANTUM BigFoot 2.5G HD, with three partitions, the first is a
DOS/VFAT partition for OpenDOS/Windows NT, the second is for FreeBSD, there are
/ (root), /usr, /var (FreeBSD) partititions in it, the third is for OpenStep.
I'd be very thankful if anyone could help me.

                       Thanks in advance,
                                                Zoltan Sebestyen