Date:      Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:17:36 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        "Brian J. McGovern" <bmcgover@cisco.com>, questions@freebsd.org, bmcgover@bmcgover-pc.cisco.com
Subject:   Re: X Windows question

 > On 9 Jul 2002, at 10:34, Brian J. McGovern wrote:
 >
 > >  > I have a FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE box, with which I'd like to tinker with
 > >  > X. However, I don't want to use the box itself for viewing, but a
 > >  > Windows X Server (Cygwin with XFree86).
 > >  >
 > >  > Do I have to install the entire XFree system, or can I just install
 > >  > an X window manager and be done with it? I'm not sure how to get
 > >  > started. If I just wanted to use the FreeBSD box itself for display
 > >  > as well as running programs, this would be easy.
 > >  >
 > >  > Thanks for any assistance,
 > >  >
 > >  > Corey Snow
 > >
 > > On the FreeBSD side, it should be as easy as setting DISPLAY to the Window
 > > box, and then running the application.
 > >
 > > On the windows side, you may need some extra effort to set up authenticati
on
 > > and the like. I think, overall, it took me about 40 seconds to get things
 > > working, but I have a decade of experience using X, and know what all the
 > > errors mean.
 > >

 > I should have been more clear- I can accomplish this much, or I did
 > after some experimentation. I'm familiar with this much about X and
 > have used it in several other environments.
 >
 > In this case, however, I'd like to have my FreeBSD box not run the X
 > server at all, but only run the X clients and the window manager,
 > using my Cygwin install as an X server, which I have working already.
 > I'd like to use XDMCP to access the FreeBSD machine, get a login
 > prompt and start using a Gnome desktop (or maybe KDE, I don't know
 > which one I prefer).
 >
 > Thanks for your answer,
 >
 > Corey Snow

Oh... XDMCP. Should have mentioned that up front... :)

Most of the stuff you want will be in /usr/X11R6/lib/xdm. First thing you'll
want to do is comment out the line in Xservers for :0, to turn off the local
X management (unless you want to keep it).

At this point, you should be able to start xdm, and get management via a
direct broadcast to the FreeBSD system. However, if you want to broadcast...

Next, edit xdm-config. The last line of the current file is
DisplayManager.requestPort. As the comment says, comment it out. You then
should be able to broadcast and use the chooser.

Its been awhile since I've played with these pieces, but it should be pretty
easy to get going.

	-Brian