Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:51:04 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still about ISA NICs on FreeBSD 4.5/alpha

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Nobody else has tried to run most ISA nics on anything but x86.
> That's why they are not in the alpha GENERIC kernel.  You're tredding
> on new ground here.  Your initial problems are configuration related.
> Expect to have more problems once you get the drivers building.

Ahaa, that explains a lot. ;) Using your instructions I was able to
compile ep, ex and fe0 into the kernel. Now I'll just have to find a
suitable time to shutdown the server and test the cards.

> BTW, do you actually have all these nics?

Actually I don't have ex (included that one by mistake), but I should have
at least fe, ed and ep cards + I have access to the QA lab here at work
and they have all kinds of NICs. Maybe I'll gather as many different ones
as possible and spend a weekend trying them all. If you think that it
would be worth it, that is.

I might also have a bug to report concerning bridge + ipfw on alpha, but
I'll have to repeat it a few times before I'll cry wolf. The firewall I
have now is an alpha too and it panicked a few times when none of the
interfaces had ip addresses assigned. More specs on that when I get around
to it.

	-jake

--
Jarkko Santala <jake@iki.fi>       http://www.iki.fi/jake/
System Administrator               Cell. +358 40 720 4512