Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:07:42 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: branch vs. osversion*  (was: Re: "ze" and "zp" drivers removed...)

[ Ploughing through my unread mail archives <sigh> ]

On Fri, Dec 10, 1999 at 10:25:16AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Last time I talked this over with Nik we came to some sort of id="" like
> > argument to a tag which would be os="".

Yeah.  osversionmin, osversionmax, and osversionin (which was caused
osversionequal in the original proposal -- osversionin could take a
comma separated list of versions, for example).

> I'm also worried about readability.  If there are lots of pieces that get cut
> out, then you are going to have a document that abruptly stops and starts in
> some places instead of flowing.

While these attributes could be used on paragraphs, or smaller elements,
generally I expect we'll only be using them for notes or similar.  So
in this precise example we might pull out this entire section as necessary,
instead of just removing a sentence or two.

    If you want to imagine the future, imagine a tennis shoe stamping
    on a penguin's face forever.
        --- with apologies to George Orwell