Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:22:44 +0100
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        jfitz@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Unable to access document"

On 1998-02-24 01:07:14 +1100, Sue Blake wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 1998 at 02:03:59PM +0100, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> > You are right, there is no package for Majordomo-1.94.4. Majordomo
> > is an "interactive" port without a package. For more information
> > please ask the maintainer of the majordomo
> > port jfitz@FreeBSD.ORG or the mailing list freebsd-ports@freebsd.org.
> >
> > http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/mail/majordomo/Makefil
> > [...]
> > # Needs to create a user and group
> > IS_INTERACTIVE= yes
> > NO_PACKAGE=     "User and group need to be created"
>
> Oh, was I supposed to first download the port and read that file of
> mumbo-jumbo and twig that it means there's no package behind the "Package"
> link, even though the link does clearly point to a specific package-sounding
> file name? And here's me thinking all I had to do with a port was type make,
> not read squiggles.

Short answer:
There are 41 ports (out of 1247) without a package. The ports.cgi script
use a simple database (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/INDEX)
for searching and printing the HTML output. The database does not store
information about ports without a package. This is a known bug. So
one of 30 packages links are broken ;-/ . A fix would require to change
the database format.

--
Wolfram Schneider    <wosch@freebsd.org>    http://www.freebsd.org/~wosch/