Date:      Mon, 09 Oct 2017 16:19:51 -0700
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: deorbiting /usr/lib/libstand.a, moving to sysboot

On Monday, October 09, 2017 10:21:53 AM Warner Losh wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > These

> > be
> > boot

> > userland
> > use

> > > They can email me and I'll help them convert over... :)
> > >
> > > Warner
> >
> > Actually, I got distracted, then came back and hit Send too soon.  I
> > meant to ask "Will the library still be accessible to out of tree
> > users?", so that adjusting to the change will amount to fixing some
> > build breakage to adjust to a new location?
> >

> The proposal is to take it 100% internal and officially not support its use
> outside the loader.
>
> It's open source, so if you really want to use it, you can with some
> effort. If there's one or two people, they can adjust. If there's lots,
> then I can revisit the proposal. It would help to know who they were and
> what, exactly, they used it for.

Note that one wrinkle is that libstand pulls in source bits from libc.
Historically it's been possible to checkout just sys/ and build sys/boot if
you had a matching world because libstand would be installed.   This will
now require a full world checkout.  That's probably not the end of the world
(and it is debatable if 'boot' even belongs in sys/ vs being a separate
top-level dir in the source tree).  In general we try to make sys/ (for
the kernel) be self-contained and this would kind of break that, though I
think I'd be happy moving boot out of sys/ altogether to restore that
convention.

--
John Baldwin