Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:11:02 +0000
From:      Rob <drifter@stratos.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   sysinstall package-add gotcha

     Hi,

     Guys, before you groan I have a suggestion to make.  After I
finally got GNOME to compile, I was experimenting with it when I
decided that I wanted to install `ggv'.
     Okay, so I tried /usr/ports/print/ggv, but the file was unavailable
at all five of the sites that was checked.  Just for the hell of it,
I tried installing the package using /stand/sysinstall, minimized the
xterm and went about my business.
     After a while, I checked up on the installation to see what
progress I was making.  To my horror, I saw it downloading an older
(incompatable) version of a gnome library.
     I immediately canceled, but the damage had been done because it
had also clandestinely overwritten my gnomelibs-1.0.3. with an 0.99
and (I was not to discover until later) my ORBit library.
     What followed was a hellish attempt to recompile gnomelibs-1.0.3
libraries (It failed, because I didn't know about ORBit).  I over-
reacted and deinstalled the entire thing, and two days later, I
recompiled.
     Yes, this was my own damn fault.  But, hey, I'm human.
I just didn't think about that possibility.

     So, my point is: why not change sysinstall to automatically
detect when an older library is going to overwrite a newer one, and warn
the user (maybe ring a bell as well) before overwriting files?
     Has this been discussed?  Any misgivings about such an idea?

     -Rob