Date:      Sat, 9 Feb 2002 19:55:39 +0100
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Matt Wilbur <matt@efs.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alphastation 600au

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:52:20AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:43:23PM +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 05:52:10PM -0800, Matt Wilbur wrote:
> >
> > > would a 600au be of any help to anyones efforts with fbsd/alpha?
> > > i can't 'give' it away (yet), but i can install -current (or whatever)
> >
> > At some point I'm sure there would be developers interested in having
> > a nice Miata like that ;-)
>
> BTW, you can overclock that.  The Miata allows setting the clock rate at
> small intervals.  We really should include the switch settings in our
> hardware docs.  Unfortunately my 164LX can only go in 66MHz increments.

Well, a true hardware hacker can find out by getting the datasheet
of the MC12439 clock generator chip. The dipswitch SW1 controls the
multiplier that the MC chip uses to multiply the 16.6666Mhz crystal
frequency.

My own experiments made me decide not to include non-standard multiplier
tweaks in the docs. One can e.g. get a 533MHz clock freq on the CPU.
That worked on my 500MHz CPU. But the speed delta is not interesting IMO.

W/