Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:56:04 -0800
From:      Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

> Didn't Robert shrink it back to 1 sector after 4.1 was released?  It
> would be interesting to know if the 'smaller' bootblock worked as well.

I was using the v4.2 release ISO image (the one with the broken PC98).
I got rather intimate with the boot0.s, boot1.s, boot2.s code last week
when I tried changing the partition number to something else.  I would
almost swear that boot0 was still 1K, but I don't have it on hand to confirm
that.  I also got the hang after install from a v4.0 disk, which
I believe is only 1 sector.  I was brute forcing the combinations pretty hard.

Please note, that using LILO as the MBR instead of boot0 still gave me
this hang-at-the-BIOS-prompt issue, so I'm pretty confident it is
independant of the size of boot0.  I would love to be shown wrong, though.

> (The box we're using is an A20, so it may be different from the A21
> problem..)

Yup, we have a pair of T20's here that are happily running FreeBSD.  They
had some issues, but not this hard hang.  I had this hang on T21 and
A21P.  I hope that I'll be able to test an X20 an A20P in the upcoming
month, but the engineers that own those machines are rather hesitant
considering what's been happening with the *21's.

Regards,
K^2
--
Ken Key (key@cips.nokia.com, key@Network-Alchemy.com)
Nokia,  Clustered IP Solutions, Santa Cruz, CA