Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:10:58 -0500
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD minimal install...

Ryan Thompson wrote:

> 2) Disabling or not installing certain important parts of the base system,
> like (as you suggested) gcc, IMO, is NOT a good idea.  If I go to fix or
> troubleshoot a broken FreeBSD system, I want to know what I'm working
> with.  Imagine the flooding to freebsd-questions:

I think it's an excellent idea. Commercial distributors SCO, IBM and SUN
don't include any compiler in their distributions and I don't hear such
complains from the users. (Imagine the antimonopoly lawsuit if Microsoft
bundles VC++ with Windows :-) Come on, what type of hacker would attempt
to "fix" a system if he doesn't know how to install a compiler ?

Unbundling gcc would also give a clearer impression that we do not claim
to have a "gcc only" OS. I would sincerely like to be able to build
kernel with commercial compilers.

The problem has always been in our packaging system, from past
discussions I understand we will someday manage all the distribution in
packages and it will be much easier to build custom installations.

cheers,

    Pedro.