Date:      Mon, 8 May 2017 18:45:38 -0400
From:      Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble@gmail.com>
To:        Gordon Zaft <gordonzaft@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ultra 5 Boot Hang Update.

On 2017-05-08 18:34, Gordon Zaft wrote:
> Have you tried booting from CDROM?  I'm assuming this is 11.0?

Well... the CDROM in the box probes in the openprom (ie: open prom sees
it), but it doesn't seem to work.  I've put the 11.0 CD into it, but the
boot fails.

I'm not sure making the CD work would solve the problem, though.  Be
clear, I've put /boot/loader on my tftpboot server as C0A8DD07
(192.168.221.7 --- the rarp'd IP address for the machine) and loader
loads.  Then I can successfully "load /kernel" in loader ... which
causes it to load /tftpboot/cdrom/kernel (/cdrom is the nfs root ...
which is where the image of the CD is mounted on the network).

You might say that I'm not a noob when it comes to netbooting old UN*X
boxes.  Wel... maybe it took me a dozen tries to "remember" things, but
still... I got it done.

But if the kernel boots, would an alternate method of booting the kernel
really make any difference?