Date:      Fri, 28 Nov 1997 21:18:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Perry Barstad <104150.342@compuserve.com>
Cc:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1.5 Help me w/X Windows

On Fri, 28 Nov 1997, Perry Barstad wrote:

> I purchased FreeBSD 2.1.5 on CD-ROM from Walnut Creek CDROM a year ago.  My
> goal was to have an OS system on my 486 system that would provide as an
> Internet Browser (i.e. Netscape) and also experience some of the UNIX
> FreeBSD X Window System.

[standard novice auto-install]

> Which ?  How can I view my slices statistic (whether mounted or not).

What do you mean?

> I then install distributions X-User (which includes User & X-User).  I
> select NO to all the prompts of networking, ftp, etc.  I reboot the OS and
> trying to move around and view any directory structure is no good.

For example?  What are the errors you're getting?  Does it appear to boot
up ok?

> I can only log-on as root, and one user I created. When I sign on as root
> my prompt looks like this MYNAME#, how can I change this, or what is this
> telling me.  I am aware of the SuperUser (SU).  What about the $ prompt,
> what is this telling me.

$ means it wants a command.  IF its' # then you're the superuser.

> When I setup a user what shell should I use?  The default is [sh].  Were is
> there more info on these shells, do I need to know this?  Is [bash] the
> shell of choice.

sh and csh come in the system.  If you want bash you can install it from
the packages/ directory on the CD.

> I can't give up on FreeBSD, any helpful hints and/or where I can get some
> info on "How to be the Novice User in FreeBSD" would be a Greatful.   :-)

Did you get any errors duing the install?  It sounds like you didn't hit
"Commit" to actuallydo the installation.