Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 00:25:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        johnson@calvin.nrtc.northrop.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help requested with IP_DIVERT (also networking issues)

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998 johnson@calvin.nrtc.northrop.com wrote:

>   I am trying to get NATD working on a FreeBSD 2.2.6 system.  The
> documentation said I needed to rebuild my kernel with the IP_DIVERT
> option.  I did this, installed the new kernel, and then rebooted.
>
>   During the boot process I got the following horrifying message:
>
> /dev/wd0s2a on /:  specified device does not match mounted device
>
>   Then I got dumped into the single-user shell.  I forlornly tried
> `mount /' from there, but got the same result.
>
>   Fortunately, some considerate person 'way back when set kernel
> installation up so that /kernel got copied to /kernel.old as part
> of the process of installing new kernels.  In this case I was saved
> by that:  I rebooted kernel.old and things came up fine again.
>
>   Could someone provide advice as to what is going wrong with IP_DIVERT?

Make sure yo upgrade userland and the kernel at the same time, otherwise
Bad Things may happen.

Also edit /etc/fstab before booting your new kernel and make sure the
device spec for the root filesystem is complete, ie /dev/wd0s2a and not
/dev/wd0.

>   My goal is to have a firewall FreeBSD machine, and three machines
> behind the firewall.  One of those would be a second FreeBSD machine,
> and the other two would be Win95 machines.  For the latter two machines,
> the only access to the net would be through Netscape Communicator.

ok.

>   I have installed ethernet cards in two test machines, and am trying
> to get them set up.  (After I get them set up, I will wire the other
> machines.)  So far, I can get the two machines to talk to each other
> either as Win95 machines or as FreeBSD machines.  I can get the firewall
> machine to talk to the outside world.  At the moment, that's where I'm
> stuck.  I can't get the test machine to talk to the outside world either
> as a FreeBSD machine (telnet, ftp, etc.) or as a Win95 machine from
> Netscape.

ok.

>   My ISP gave me a static IP address, which I use with the ppp0
> interface on the firewall machine.  The firewall machine is set up
> as 192.168.3.1 on ed1, its ethernet device, and the other test machine
> is set up as 192.168.3.2 on its ethernet device (ed2 for some reason).

>   I currently boot the firewall machine (firewalling enabled in
> rc.conf), then log in, manually get ppp going, and then manually start
> routed, named, and socks5.  mountd, nfs, and Samba are started
> automatically during the boot process.  mountd and nfs seem to work:
> I can cross-mount file systems between the two machines.

Do you have gateway_enable set as well in /etc/rc.conf?

>   I'm provisionally assuming that my problem is that the test machine
> is on the 192.168 subnet, which does not get routed to the outside
> world.  (What is the usual procedure for people that have multiple
> machines at home as far as getting IP addresses?  Get an IP address
> that is visible on the net for each machine?  Have one net-visible IP
> address and have the other machines on an invisible 192.168 local net?)

>   Are SOCKS and NATD meant to be used together?

It's redundant.  natd will transparently translate the connections -- the
apps won't know what's happening.

>   It seems that my life would be a lot easier if I had multiple
> Internet visible IP addresses.  Is this what people with multiple
> at-home machines usually do?

Now now with the IP address crunch.