Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:27:13 -0600
From:      Denny <denny@kewanee.net>
To:        Jeffrey Dunitz <orpheus@lemieux.hockey.net>, R Dias <rdias@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network?

Quoting Jeffrey Dunitz (orpheus@lemieux.hockey.net):
> the actual mechanics of it are pretty straightforward: your win9x box
> running WinGate has an ethernet card and a modem in it, and your other
> machines have ethernet cards. Set up the ethernet on a 192.x.x.x network,
> tell wingate what the addresses are, and it (supposedly) just goes.
> I think wingate supports dial-on-demand, so that you don't have to
> do anything to connect--just sit down at your linux or freebsd machine
> and start netscape, or try to telnet somewhere or whatever. Wingate will
> figure out that it needs to dial your ISP, and once the connection is
> up, you can see the world.

Well, not quite.  You have to direct the workstations to use the Wingate
box as a proxy, it doesn't work as a gateway (The 3.0 beta has
a client that gets around the proxy setup, but it only works on 95, not
even NT as of yet.)  So you can set your browser to use the proxy auto-
magically, but FTP , Telnet, etc become a problem:  you have to go to the
proxy and then out onto the net.

I've used Wingate for about a year and am switching our network over to
a FreeBSD gateway.  Unless you have to use the Windows box as your
Internet connection, don't -- FreeBSD is head & shoulders above it in this
respect.

--
Regards,

Denny Reiter