Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 05:15:51 +0100
From:      dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org (Dirk Meyer)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, relyod@cooperationireland.org (Mike Doyle)
Subject:   Re: Problem with Majordomo since upgrade

Mike Doyle wrote:

> I performed a BINARY upgrade from FreeBSD 4.1 to FreeBSD 4.8RC, mostly due
> to the sendmail security issue.

>  > Mar 18 11:27:13 liffey sendmail[61628]: h2IBQujr061625:
> SYSERR(majordom): openmailer:
>     insufficient privileges to change gid, RunAsUid=54, new_gid=0, gid=1,
> egid=25

> directory). Any suggestions what I can do to fix this ?

True ... you have to update your config as well.

1) mail.local is no longer SUID root:
Please update your sendmail.mc with the line:
MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`LOCAL', `+S')dnl

2)
Be sure you have mdom as trusted user in your "submit.mc":

2a)
define(`confTRUSTED_USERS',`majordom' )

or 2b)
FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl

and in the file /etc/mail/trusted-users:
majordom

> The problem is probably due to my incorrectly merging changes to the
> /etc/passwd or
> /etc/group file during an upgrade (originally binary upgraded from FreeBSD
> 3.x -> 4.1 and then
> from 4.1 -> 4.8RC if I recall correctly).

Please be sure you have "mailnull" and "smmsp" as groups and user in your system.
Please check the Bounce you will get in this case for the Full Errror message.

3)
user "mailnull" should have rights to execute the wrapper.
$ ls -l /usr/local/majordomo/wrapper

kind regards Dirk

- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany
- [dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org],[dirk.meyer@guug.de],[dinoex@FreeBSD.org]