Date:      Wed, 28 Jul 1999 11:24:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysinstall network performance

Hi,

During recent installs using the 7/26 snap, I noticed that the
transfer rate for the "ports" distribution was about twice as fast as
SNAPs from the beginning of the month.  Previously I was seeing a
download rate of around 13 KB/s, while now I'm seeing around 28 KB/s
(while these rates may sound horrrendous, it's typical of what we get
when installing ports - other distributions generally hit upwards of
about 800 KB/s).

I was wondering what to attribute this better performance to.  Could
this be due to the new network driver / newbus integration?

Just curious (and pleased).

Thanks,
-Brian

P.S. - we track current and build our own SNAPs locally on a daily
       basis for testing

--
Brian Dean		SAS Institute Inc	brdean@unx.sas.com