Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:58:00 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Generic Unix term?

On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 05:50:48PM -0600, Alan Weber wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 at 08:05:42PM -0800, Gregory Sutter wrote:
> --> There's BSD, Linux, AIX, SCO, Solaris, Citrix, etc, but is there a
> --> single, non-copyrighted, non-trademarked term describing all systems
> --> that are based on or function like Unix?
> -->
>
> I have seen *nix used a lot. BTW isn't Citrix an NT vendor a la winframe??

*nix isn't a word, though.  I am looking for something that can be
spoken as well as written, and "Starnix" or "Asterisknix" just doesn't
cut it.

You're right about Citrix.  Don't know what I was thinking.  I guess I
got carried away with thinking of "-ix"es.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                           Mostly Harmless
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com