Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2006 10:20:48 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS Locking Issue

> Based on prior reading about this problem, I'd venture to guess that the
> file locking between FC5 and FreeBSD simply isn't.  See, between just 2
> machines sharing files without rpc.lockd running you won't see a
> problem.  Both the client and the server must not only be running
> rpc.lockd, but they must be able to actually talk to each other.

I definitely disagree with that. I have written a little program
just to check locking on files on the NFS share, and i can assure you
it works. Before FC5 the same program did not work, in fact hanged.
You could not kill the program, without unmounting the NFS share.
After the upgrade FC3 -> FC5 the lockd works and if i try setting a second lock
on the same file it will fail. I am using this daily with mutt, no problem.
But it is not only lockd which now works, it is more generally NFS.
On a 6.0 machine i regularly get things like:
Jun 22 17:30:10 asmodee kernel: for server ada:/ada1
Jun 22 17:30:10 asmodee kernel: nfs send error 1 for server ada:/ada1
Jun 22 17:30:10 asmodee last message repeated 797 times
Jun 22 17:30:15 asmodee kernel: for server ada:/ada
Jun 22 17:30:15 asmodee kernel: nfs send error 1 for server ada:/ada
Jun 22 17:30:15 asmodee last message repeated 817 times
Jun 22 17:30:20 asmodee kernel: nfs send error 35 for server ada:/ada
and the home directories are inaccessible for a couple of minutes. I have
never seen that once on the 6.1 machine.

--

Michel TALON