Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:12:00 +0200
From:      Andy Fawcett <andy@athame.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, marcus@freebsd.org, trevor@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Latest round of bsd.*.mk changes

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 07:09, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Type: FEATURE
>
> Title: Add a USE_GETTEXT macro
>
> Affects: bsd.port.mk Too many ports to list

> place of an explicit LIB_DEPENDS on devel/gettext.  This will help
> with future shared lib version bumps.
>
> PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=61992
>

> Submitted by: trevor

This change is, in my opinion, a little flawed.

Any port that had a *_DEPENDS on gettext has now been changed to
USE_GETTEXT=yes, implying a LIB_DEPENDS on gettext.

Now, some of the ports only had a BUILD_DEPENDS on gettext, and
certainly do not need it installed after the build process is complete.

Take for example the kde-i18n ports:

previously, these had a BUILD_DEPENDS on gettext, _specifically_ because
they don't need gettext at runtime, and because we got complaints every
time there was a gettext bump that they were being rebuilt for no
purpose.

Now they have a LIB_DEPENDS, which is registered as a linktime
dependency. Next time gettext is upgraded (even a little portrevision)
they will be rebuilt on a users system.

I'd like to propose that USE_GETTEXT is altered to take different
parameters

yes=LIB_DEPENDS
build=BUILD_DEPENDS
run=RUN_DEPENDS (not sure if any ports use it as a runtime dep only)

Andy
(one of kde@)
--
Andy Fawcett                                     | andy@athame.co.uk