Date:      Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:17:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Remi Regruson <salami@degruson.isa-geek.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.4 RELEASE atkbdc0 problem

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Remi Regruson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I put the folowing line in /boot/loader.conf :
> usb_load="yes"
> ukbd_load="yes"
> This haven't done what I exepted : my usb keyboard don't work during the loader prompt and now I can't boot. The kernel message stop with this line:

If you want your USB keyboard to work in loader you need to enable "USB
Legacy" in the BIOS.

> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x64,0x60 irq 1 on acpi0
> I have the same log with or without : any keyboard(ps2 or usb), usb or apm activating in the bios.

FreeBSD can only handle input from one keyboard at a time. By default the
first keyboard attached wins, which is atkbd.  You have a few options:

1. Edit /boot/device.hints and remove the hint.atkbd.0.flags line, reboot,
and unplug the PS/2 keyboard before the kernel starts. Unless your BIOS
fakes up a keyboard it should keep atkbd0 from attaching and therefore let
the USB keyboard take over kbd0.

2. Add a line to /etc/usbd.conf that calls

kbdcontrol -k kbd1 < /dev/console

when a USB keyboard is attached. This selects the USB keyboard as the
active keyboard. If kbd1 goes away (by unplugging the USB keyboard) it'll
fall back to the PS/2 keyboard.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org