Date:      Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:28:05 +0000
From:      Grzegorz Junka <list1@gjunka.com>
To:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: qjail or qjail2?

On 12/06/2016 15:44, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>>
>> On 12/06/2016 13:07, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
>>> Hi!

>>> qjail, as qjail2 is a non-longer updated version of qjail, as
>>> far as I understand.
>>>

>> Both have some recent changes in their respective SVN branches:
>> https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/qjail
>> https://www.freshports.org/sysutils/qjail2
>>
>> And both don't seem to have received too many updates recently.
>
> For your info www.freshports.org is really not the official place to
> inquire about freebsd ports. The content of your post shows you got
> incorrect info.
>
> If you had read the SVN "long description" of qjail2 you will see this
> "This is the last version that handles both the 8.x and 9.x install
> media formats." Thats why it has no updates. Its just a version of
> qjail that has been frozen in time to support the old format of
> install media for freebsd versions that reach EOL in December this year.
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/qjail2/pkg-descr?revision=HEAD
>

> The "long description" of qjail says this
> "This qjail version is not intended for RELEASES older than
> RELEASE-10.0."
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/qjail/pkg-descr?revision=HEAD
>

> And if you check the qjail change log you will see qjail does indeed
> have resent updates.
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/sysutils/qjail/?view=log
>
> So to answer your original question.
>
> The documentation is installed with qjail when qjail is installed.
> As far as to what version to install is totally dependent on which
> version of Freebsd your running on your host.
> For 9.3 and older use qjail2. For 10.0 and newer use qjail. The SVN
> "long description" is real clear about that.

Sorry, but I will have to disagree with "The SVN 'long description' is
real clear about that.". If it was real clear then I wouldn't bother
asking on this list and taking your time and others. BTW the svnweb
links you posted show exactly the same messages as freshports, and I
didn't say that qjail doesn't have recent updates. I said that both of
them have been updated recently.

I read the note "This is the last version that handles both the 8.x and
9.x install media formats." but apparently understood it differently
than intended. First of all, I don't know what is a media format,
especially 8.x and 9.x media format. Since I don't use one my take on
that was that it's not applicable to me. Since that version of qjail
supports something that I don't care about, I just look at the remaining
of the message, which is the same for both versions, hence the confusion.

I also read the note for qjail that it "is not intended for RELEASES
older than RELEASE-10.0.", which is fine since I run release 10.3.

So here you go, there is qjail2 that supports some exotic media format,
and qjail that supports FreeBSD RELEASE-10.0 and newer. How should I go
about deciding which one to use?

It would certainly help if:
  - the version of qjail supporting legacy systems was named qjail0
rather than qjail2
  - or the version of qjail supporting FreeBSD RELEASE-10.0 was named
qjail3 (or qjail4 since 4 is its minor revision now)
  - or/and the message for qjail2 simply stated:

"This version supports FreeBSD RELEASE 8.x and 9.x. For RELEASE 10.0 and
newer use qjail."

Many thanks for the clarification.
Grzegorz