Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 12:47:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

>    Terry is simply wrong about what happens. All dirty buffers are written out
> and invalidated/reclaimed when the umount is called and all other buffers are
> invalidated/reclaimed. When all buffers are have been reclaimed, all vnodes
> and VM objects (and all other resources associated with the mounted filesystem)
> are invalidated and reclaimed. Umount doesn't return until this is completed,
> but the total delay is very short (less than 1 second). Any delay prior to
> 'eject' is not due to buffers being stuck or waits for the update process to
> run or anything of the sort.

I have had delays on the order of a minute when umounting my JAZ disk.

I realize FreeBSD has problems handling JAZ drives that the other
BSD's do not, like getting the media size right for a drive without
meduia inserted instead of throwing an error into dmesg:

	(ncr0:1:0): "iomega jaz 1GB G.60" type 0 removable SCSI 2
	sd1(ncr0:1:0): Direct-Access
	sd1(ncr0:1:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.

	sd1(ncr0:1:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
	sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry

	sd1(ncr0:1:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
	sd1: could not get size
	0MB (0 512 byte sectors)

However, I doubt if this is JAZ specific; it seems more related to it
being removable than anything else.

(yes, the drive was spun up at the time, so you can't blame that).

The eject was manual.

Truly, when I press the eject button, an "umount -f" operation should
occur on behalf of the FS's mounted on the drive... oh well.

In any case, I have to wait a long time.  NetBSD and OpenBSD running
on the same hardware do not have the same delay.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---