Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:35:10 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, cpiazza@FreeBSD.ORG, dburr@FreeBSD.ORG, demon@FreeBSD.ORG, dirk@FreeBSD.ORG, esk@ira.uka.de, greid@ukug.uk.freebsd.org, knu@FreeBSD.ORG, leo@florida.sarang.net, markp@FreeBSD.ORG, nakai@FreeBSD.ORG, patrick@FreeBSD.ORG, petef@FreeBSD.ORG, vanilla@FreeBSD.ORG, yar@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC:  mark MP3 encoders, editors, and players RESTRICTED

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 01:58:53 -0400 (EDT) Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
wrote:

> The Fraunhofer Institute seems to have discontinued the exception it
> was making for free software.

"Statement from Thomson Multimedia, mp3 Licensing

In a posting appearing Tuesday August 27, 2002 on the Web site
'slashdot.org', an individual cited a change in the mp3 license fee
structure of Thomson and Fraunhofer. The writer of the post apparently
misread the mp3 licensing conditions, as Thomson's mp3 licensing policy
has not experienced any change.

To clarify, since the beginning of our mp3 licensing program in 1995,
Thomson has never charged a per unit royalty for freely distributed
software decoders. For commercially sold decoders -- primarily hardware
mp3 players -- the per-unit royalty has always been in place since the
beginning of the program. Therefore, there is no change in our licensing
policy and we continue to believe that the royalty fees of .75 cents per
mp3 player (on average selling over $200 dollars) has no measurable
impact on the consumer experience."

Taken from http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/vza-29.08.02-000/

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           Intel: where Quality is job number 0.9998782345!