Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:06:30 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: We're reading CIS!

In message <200004191728.CAA40367@tasogare.imasy.or.jp> Mitsuru IWASAKI writes:
: > NEWCARD, a heavily modified version of NetBSD's and newconfig's pccard
: > system, is now mapping and reading the CIS.  Now, to write the child
:
: It would be nice to share code between ours and theirs in the
: future just like USB stuff is doing.  Do you have a plan
: s/pccard/pcmcia/g for sys/dev/pccard/ files?

I agree it would be nice to share code.  However, I've made
substantial structural changes that make it hard to do this.  I don't
oppose this, but don't want to waste a lot of time on compatibility at
the moment.

: Yeah.  I hope that we could have device event daemon for pccard, USB
: and etc. using code from pccardd, usbd and apmd currently we have.
: The events I mean are inserted, attached, detached, removed, power
: state changed or something like that.
: # Maybe we can include ACPI related stuff in it instead of apmd.

Yes.  They are all related.  I think a good, general frameworks needs
to be designed in detail ad implemented.

: > Here's the edited dmesg from my last test run before the commit,
: > followed by a pccardc dumpcis to show that things appear to be
: > working:
:
: Please do the commit soon, I'd like to see what kind of magic you did :)

I've done the commit already, so you should have it in the next cvsup.

Warner