Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 18:44:50 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nik@iii.co.uk, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, itojun@itojun.org
Subject:   Re: internationalization

On 12-Jun-98 Terry Lambert wrote:

>> > I have absolutely nothing to add to the discussion, I just want to
>> > hold up the above paragraph as a shining example of why I like these
>> > mailing lists so much :-)
>>
>> I agree, I tend to save more of Terry's articles for the
>> non-computing content than those of other people (as well as saving
>> many for the computing content of course)!
>
> I don't know if I'm supposed to be flattered or offended... I thought
> that the information density of Kanji was relevent.  ;-).

It was meant as a compliment, and I do keep ypur filesystem stuff too...:-)

>> Terry, how do you manage to keep all this in your head, or are you a
>> more advanced version of the JKH Tcl script with AltaVista plug in?
>
> No one can rival Jordan... he's a much better humorist than I will
> probably ever be.
>
> Some people watch television; I read.  A lot.  At one point in time, I
> actually ran out of science fiction books to read at my local Carnegie
> Free Library (the Weber County Library at the time), and had to start
> on the history and biography sections.

I think I almost read all the SiFi too when I was younger (much smaller
local community library). So I started on the real science, lots of
astronomy and stuff. Most was a bit too far above my head at the time (about
12 to 14). I especially remember a little white book which talked about
trains and clocks and gravity etc. I could cope with the first few
chapters (even now I can only get through the first few of the General
Relativity chapters) but I had problem with what I thought were complex square
roots. In the book the square roots in the Lorentz transforms were printed
using a capital I as 1 (e.g. sqrt (I-v^2/c^2)). I had heard that I was to do
with complex numbers and I was really confused...What's nice is that I bought
a re-print of the same edition about a year ago.

>  Thankfully, more science fiction
> arrived before I ran out of biographies.  For scale, I personally own
> around 3500 books which I have read, and very few of them overlap with
> what was in the library at the time.
>
> I think people should read more; if you're going to be antisocial, do
> it with a book instead of a television.  8-).

I have sort of started a small collection of victorian encylcopedias, great
fun, and give a great historical perspective on engineering!

Duncan

---