Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 07:37:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        davidn@uk.aiesec.org (David Nunn)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 kernel with 2.2.5 system?

In a previous message, David Nunn said:
> Hi there.
>
> I know this is a astrange request, but can I use a 2.2.6 kernel ona 2.2.5
> system? We are currently running a 2.2.5 system in the office as a dialup
> server (dial-on-demand for the rest of the office which are on '95), and
> are upgrading from standard modem to ISDN. BT has supplied all the kit, but
> I need to recompile a kernel to change the serial port settings.
>
> The original sysadmin never installed the sources for the kernel, and so I
> am stuck with a 2.2.5 system and 2.2.6 kernel sources. Upgrading is not an
> option since the office cannot afford that amount of downtime on this, the
> only connection to the internet they have.
>
> Can anyone help? (Please CC any replies to me personally)

If you mix in a different kernel many applications will fail (ps, etc.).
The best solution is to do an online upgrade. CVSup or download the
entire source to 2.2.6, or 2.2.7-RELEASE (which appears to be out
now). And do a make world (READ THE Makefile first). I actually
prefer to do a make buildworld and then a make installworld.

This gives you a fully running machine and only a couple of reboots.
The down side is that you'll want to migrate /etc files to the new
stuff. And that's a manual process.

I have found the make world route very effective for my servers that
need to stay up.

--
"Many times a day, I realize how much my outer and inner life is
 built upon the labors of my fellow-men, both living and dead."

                                         -- Albert Einstein