Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 20:43:26 -0700 (MST)
From:      Octavian <octoman@globotech.dyndns.org>
To:        sriva@alice.it
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arpresolve error

The problem is that I have the right line in my /etc/rc.conf and I tripled
checked that it doesn' get reset anywhere else. the only thing I can think
of is my DHCP client might be doing something weird when it gets it's
address so I'm thinking of adding the ifconfig_lo0 again after calling the
dhcp client.

Any suggestions?
Thank You for your answer,
Octavian

At 00.21 23/03/99 -0700, you wrote:
>24.64.228.185      127.0.0.1          UGHS        0       10     fxp0

  Here's the problem. Packets sent to the IP address of your system must
use the 127.0.0.1 gateway (right), passing through fxp0 (wrong). You need
lo0 instead of fxp0, there.

>lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384

  Here's the confirmation: 127.0.0.1 isn't bound to lo0.

>Anyone know how I could fix this?

  Check your /etc/rc.conf[.local]: you need lo0 in the network interfaces
list AND a line like this:

ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"

  Be careful not to have the right line in rc.conf and something resetting
it in rc.conf.local, for example.