Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:23:47 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        jeandre@itvs.co.za
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 09:27:39 Jeandre du Toit <jeandre@itvs.co.za> wrote:

>I can't get X to start after installation, I think I might not understand
>the graphical configure tool. I have a Trident Cyberblade and it is on the
>list, but each time after I choose it and exit sysinstall says the
>configuration is wrong. I am using FreeBSD 4.7, I am downloading 5.1 but I
>don't know if I will have the same problem.
>
>I hope this is on the right list, I figure it is a problem because I am a
>newbie and not something for the questions list. Please let me know if I
>should rather post it there.
>
>Thanks
>Jeandre

Since you came out and asked, the proper list is -questions. Though you are
a newbie, and this may be a newbie problem, you're asking for technical
advice, which should be done on -questions. You'll get a lot more
knowledgeable replies there.

You might include a bit more information on the error. i.e. where does it
say the config. is wrong? In sysinstall? when starting X? If it's the second
case, you might include relevant portions of /var/log/XFree86.0.log. Also,
what does the error message say, exactly? You should probably also include
the section from /etc/X11/XF86Config that defines the card. (It's generally
not very hard to write/edit the config file to fix small problems; in some
cases the 'tools' are harder to get to work right.)

<Do I need a flameproof suit for that one?>

Hope you get it worked out,
Clayton

PS. You can also try googling for a working XF86Config similar to what you
need, which has worked for me a few times in the past.