Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:19:06 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Filip Hanik <fhanik@pakana.com>
Cc:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PostgreSQL: Which is Better for MySQL  FreeBSD or BSDi?

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Filip Hanik wrote:

> Any thoughts on PostgreSQL?

Not sure what you are looking for here ... Tim Perdue @ PHPBuilder found
that they hit scalability issues with MySQL, and is switching to either
PgSQL or Oracle ... last I heard, PgSQL won out, but don't quote me on
that ...

He wrote an article on it available at the following URL:

	http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20001112.php3

Basically, they found that once you hit ~5 simultaneous connections,
performance of MySQL nose-dived, whereas the same test on PgSQL peaked and
flattened out ...

My theory is that in most cases where MySQL users are talking about how
well it performs, they are dealing with very low hit sites where the
database isn't having to deal with heavy traffic, so its more an 'SQL over
flatfile' situation :(

Systems Administrator @ hub.org