Date:      Thu, 1 May 2003 00:48:23 -0600
From:      "Jerry M. Howell II" <jmhowell@jmhowell.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BIND won't start at boot with flags

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 01:23:56AM -0400, Tamir Halperin wrote:
> My BIND 9.2.2, installed with the argument to overwrite base, will not start at boot time.
> It seems to start when I execute /etc/sbin/named. But I don't know what I'm not getting by it starting with the flags.

Ok, what flags are you using?

> I'm attaching the following files because I really don't quite get the chroot part of all this:

chroot? Are you running named in a chrooted environment? all that meens
is you are simply changeing the root directory of named from / to
another directory. Probably /var/chroot . Of course without the flags we
aren't sure if you passed this flag or not. If you did, you need to make
sure to create the proper directories and binaroes under that directory
so named functions properly.

> /etc/rc.conf
> /etc/namedb/named.conf
> /var/chroot/etc/namedb/named.conf
>
> My guess is that /etc/namedb/named.conf is being ignored because of the named_flags line in rc.conf. Am I right?
>
> Then, in /var/chroot/etc/namedb/named.conf there's a line:
> pid-file "/etc/namedb/named.pid";
>
> There is no named.pid in /etc/namedb so I'm not sure what to do about this. Could this be the cause of named not starting at boot time?

Mabe, is the directory readable and writeable by the user you plan to
run named?

Best of luck,
--
Jerry M. Howell II