Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:20:31 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1008541231.da3986@mired.org>
To:        Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>, Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: EzBSD aint for me! Was: A breath of fresh air..

Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org> types:

Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org> types:
> User friendliness doesn't neccessarily have to be the opposite of expert
> friendliness - contrary to popular belief spread by a big software company.
> FreeBSD can suit both needs, on the one hand booting right into a KDE GUI,
> on the other hand running entirely in console mode. That is friendly, as it
> allows users to choose what they prefer and really need.

You are both right. However, whenever I try to claim that Windows
isn't as user-friendly as FreeBSD because it won't do what I, as a
user, want it to do (see the ratpoison port for an example of what I
want it to do) people tell me I'm crazy.

The real problem is, as Nils pointed out, that once you start making
things "user-friendly", experts tweaking the insides cause things that
don't expect such changes to break. I've seen Windows software that
had the CD-ROM wired to D:, and it wouldn't install if you had two
disks in the machine.  This kind of thing even happens with FreeBSD. I
changed LOCALBASE, which means I generally can't use packages, and get
to fix ports that assume that everything installs in /usr/local. The
latter hasn't happened in a while, though.

	<mike