Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:03:10 -0500
From:      Chris <behrnetworks@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Seeing the dreaded "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable" on 9.0-CURRENT

Hi,

I'm trying to install CURRENT a single drive ZFS on root setup using
the guide located here:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot

This is on an amd64-based Acer 5516 laptop. I'm able to complete the
installation, however, when I boot, the system stops at the boot
loader with several "error 1 lba xxx" (where xxx is some large number)
errors and the "ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable" error.
When I issue the "status" command at the boot loader, I see only the
GPT partition and the ZFS pool. Should I also see any physical
devices? I strongly suspect that the BIOS on this laptop is up to some
sort of chicanery but it's hard to say so definitively since I can
install and boot to a regular UFS-based FreeBSD installation. I've
confirmed this on 8.0-RELEASE and 9.0-CURRENT. I've also made sure to
delete any UFS and GPT partitions as well as any ZFS pools before
installing to be sure that I'm installing on a clean disk. Also, I've
tried building the bootloader (even though the guide said it's
depreciated as of 8.0-STABLE and 9.0-CURRENT) as well as installing
the boot blocks, both to no avail.

Any ideas and/or suggestions would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris