Date:      	Tue, 14 Feb 1995 03:10:16 -0800
From:      "Mike O'Brien" <obrien@antares.aero.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Funny business installing XFree86 from FreeBSD CD-ROM

	I just successfully installed FreeBSD 2.0 from
the Walnut Creek CD-ROM.  At least, it was successful up
until I tried to install XFree86 3.1, and after checksumming
the files, it (apparently) hung on me.  I've had considerable
experience with BSD UNIX up through 4.3, but all this install
stuff is quite new to me, so I had to crash around considerably
before figuring out how to run the XFree86 install script by
hand from the XFree86 directory on the CD-ROM.

	After it was all over, of course, I had a dim memory
of hearing that the install script dialog page comes up on
the next console virtual terminal over.

	So, after all that, I have a question, for my own
enlightenment: what is it that causes the script to come up
on what is, after all, a completely different terminal?  It
sure doesn't do that when I run it by hand.  I've seen a few
other cases where I was interacting on VT0, and had messages
come out on VT1.  What mechanism is operating here?  VT0 is
the 'console' terminal, right?

Mike O'Brien