Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:18:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mikko_Ty=F6l=E4j=E4rvi?= <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, audit@FreeBSD.ORG, Alexander Litvin <archer@whichever.org>, Andriy Gapon <agapon@excite.com>
Subject:   Re: Thread-safe resolver [patches for review]

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > I also would like to hear from you whether or not you think that we
> > need all those gethostbyXXX_r(3) functions.
>
> Yes.  Because autoconf looks for them and will assume non-reentrancy if
> they are not present.  Also, for source compatability with linux and
> solaris and just about everything else that implements this stuff.  The
> expectation is that gethostbyXXX is non-safe and that gethostbyXXX_r is
> safe.  If you can make the non_r versions safe then that is a bonus I guess.

You are aware that Solaris's version of gethostbyname_r() has a
different interface than Linux's (glibc 2.whatever) variant, and that
both differ from AIX's gethostbyname_r()...  right?

Also, some systems (HP-UX 11 and Irix [not sure, though]) have a
reentrant gethostbyname(), possibly alongside a _r version marked
"obsolete".

So, even though I agree that having _r versions might be useful,
neither autoconf (which has to be smarter than just looking for a "_r"
version), nor source compatibility should be considered the main
reasons, IMHO.

  $.02,
  /Mikko

 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com