Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:52:29 -0400
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Stan Osborne <stan@craigslist.org>
Cc:        billf@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advocacy/21238: poor performance; missed opportunities

Stan Osborne wrote:

> <snip>
>
> As for your claim that I did not provide specifices, do you need
> more information than my statement that we used FreeBSD 4.0?

Yes, the developers need more than that.  You cannot simply say "freebsd
version x is slow, please make it faster."  To many people freebsd is as
fast or faster, so to figure out why your setup is slow is impossible
just by knowing you are using freebsd 4.0.

I understand you cannot divulge your application, but if you could
disclose some sort of statistics on the sort of system calls it makes,
how it stores data, and the frequency of said calls in an expected run,
it would probably help many people.  Also, the output of uname -a
couldn't hurt; your kernel config would be downright useful to some.
Please remember this is a volunteer effort and you cant expect people to
try ten billion combinations until they happen to hit yours.

While I understand all these sort of details might not be the sort of
thing you'd like to post in a PR, you should phrase the post in a less
<asbestos>flame-oriented manner</asbestos>, and possibly offer this
information to anyone who is willing to work on the issue.

There are plenty of trolls and zealots who will file PRs in hostile
tones with no content.  If you don't want to be labeled as one by a
group of people with lots of work and little time, you might want to try
and be more positive and helpful in your emails, reports, etc.  I'm
about to start my first year of college, and one of my goals is to start
going through and writing patches that will (hopefully) close PRs.  If I
have to wander through post after post of useless flameage, I just might
get discouraged.  I'm not saying you're a troll, I'm just saying you
need to act a little more professional, and maybe a bit more friendly.
And if you are just another troll, stop wasting everyone's time.

Laurence Berland
Intern, Flooz.com
Northwestern '04
stuyman@confusion.net