Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 13:46:02 +0100
From:      Juan Rodriguez Hervella <jrh@it.uc3m.es>
To:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Hussain Ali <hali@ttsg.com>
Subject:   Re: grouping 2 or more interfaces as 1

On Thursday 11 December 2003 23:14, Michael Sierchio wrote:

> >>Unless performance is the reason for bonding the ether channels...
> >>
> >>Can't we steal the Linux code? ;-)
> >
> > is the netgraph version particularly slow?
>
> Not slower than a single ether channel, no ;-)  Considerably
> slower than link layer bonding.   The netgraph version provides
> a really useful functionality,  and I suppose that 2GB and 10GB
> fiber interfaces will do away with any pressure to give us
> bonding in the kernel.

Hello,

I've never had heard talking about ng_fec, so I've been
looking at the pointers of the previous mails and I find it
very interesting, but there are some things I don't understand
well.

For example, if we aggregate 4 ethernet cards into one
virtual interface (fec), do this mean that the throughput is
4 times the capacity of one ethernet card ?.

Also, if the pyshical interfaces are connected to different LANs,
how can we think about the virtual iface ? is it as if we were
joining the 4 LANs to make one common link ? is this right ?

--
******
JFRH

A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody
wants to read.
		-- Mark Twain