Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2004 03:04:17 -0400
From:      epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
To:        Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to set-up a USB Printer in Freebsd?

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 23:33:12 -0700 (PDT)
Mark Jayson Alvarez <jay2xra@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>=20
>   I have an old model Epson C20UX USB Printer and I
> usually print in my Windows OS(dual boot) using that
> printer. For long, I did not bother to read the
> section in the handbook(setting up printer) because as
> I have said earlier.. I print my MSWord document in
> Windows.. But now that I have deleted my Windows
> partition and I'm only running FreeBSD alone, I did a
> quick skimming in the Setting Up Printer section of
> the handbook and I have found out that, like the modem
> installation, freebsd only supports printer connected
> to serial or parallel ports..

you weren't kidding when you said skimming.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-intro-se=
tup.html

USB interfaces, named for the Universal Serial Bus, can run at even faster
speeds than parallel or RS232 serial interfaces. Cables are simple and
cheap. USB is superior to RS232 Serial and to Parallel for printing, but it
is not as well supported under UNIX=AE systems. A way to avoid this problem
is to purchase a printer that has both a USB interface and a Parallel
interface, as many printers do.

note that the degree of support available will more likely have to do with
the quality and popularity of your printer than with your usb port.  though
cheap ink jet win-printers are popular, they tend not to be nearly as well
supported as many of the somewhat more expensive laser printers.   (i don't
know which your model is.)

> Now I have a big problem.. I can only think of two
> things, either repartition my entire pc, and of
> course.. the worst.. buy a new parallel/serial
> printer..

if you insist.  though, i'd suggest a 3rd alternative - paying the
handbook a closer read. you might also find this article helpful.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/07/08/FreeBSD_Basics.html

hth,
epi