Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 23:38:34 -0600
From:      "Corey D. Wheeler" <corey@euriscom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SMP Support for FreeBSD 3.4

6 months ago, I purchased a dual processor Gigabyte mother board and a
500 MHz PIII processor.  The system also has 512 MB RAM and Ultra2 SCSI
hard drives.  For months, the system has performed flawlessly, until I
added the 2nd 500 MHz processor.  I recompiled the kernel for SMP
support and 2 processors.  Since then, the system locks up at least once
a day, leaving no error messages behind.  Even the keyboard and
networking services are all locked up.  I installed Linux on the same
machine for a month with no lock ups using SMP support.  I reinstalled
FreeBSD back on the machine, configured for SMP support and the lock ups
returned.  I removed the SMP support and the lock up went away.  Is
there some setting or kernel configuration that I'm overlooking or is
the SMP support for FreeBSD still experimental or unstable?  I really
searching very hard for an answer as I'd choose FreeBSD over Linux any
day of the year.

Thank You
Corey Wheeler
corey@euriscom.com