Date:      Thu, 12 Apr 2007 13:28:11 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>, ticso@cicely.de, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS to support chflags?

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 11:42:37AM +0100, Robert Watson wrote:
>=20
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2007, Bernd Walter wrote:
>=20
> >On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 08:04:03PM -0400, John Nielsen wrote:
> >
> >>I just moved /usr over to a zpool on my -CURRENT system. Performance an=
d=20
> >>stability are both excellent so far. (Thanks Pawel!) However I noticed=
=20
> >>that setting FS flags on files with chflags is not supported. Would it =
be=20
> >>feasible to add support for flags on ZFS, and if so are there plans to =
do=20
> >>so?
> >>
> >>If not (and/or in the meantime), are there any places in the base syste=
m=20
> >>where flags are required for normal operation? (/var maybe?)
> >
> >Some binaries have such flags set, but it is not required, otherwise=20
> >diskless NFS wouldn't work. I often see installworld warnings about beei=
ng=20
> >unable to set extended flags on ld.so and others on my diskless boxes.
>=20
> I'm not a big fan of setting these flags -- I fairly frequently run into=
=20
> problems when I installworld an NFS root on the NFS host, then try to wor=
k=20
> with it over NFS from the NFS-booted system, as the flags can't be remove=
d=20
> via NFS.  They don't offer a security benefit as-installed, and perhaps=
=20
> offer a benefit with respect to preventing people from shooting themselve=
s=20
> in the foot (or perhaps not).

Yeah, historical intentions notwithstanding, the real benefit of schg
flags on critical pieces is anti foot-shooting.  e.g. you really don't
want to accidentally delete ld-elf.so.1 or libc.so.7 or init.
You can usually recover from this, but it can mess up your whole day
:)

Kris

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx

--dDRMvlgZJXvWKvBx--