Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 04:53:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      BARRY BOUWSMA IS AN INFLUX OF CONTUMELIOUS FINKS <freebeer@fluffy.gets.an.analprobe.dk>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How stable is the ATA code?

On Wed, 5 Apr 19100, Matt Heckaman wrote:

> And to add one of those annoying "me too" posts,

ME TOO!!~!@!@!@!  I thought I recalled seeing this discussion well
before anything like this happened to me...

> ad0 and acd0 work fine, ad1 does not. It bombs with the following error:
>
> ad1: HARD READ ERROR blk# 0ata0-slave: WARNING: WAIT_READY
> active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
> ad1: HARD READ ERROR blk# 0 status=59 error=04
> ad1: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
> ad1: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0

Except that my setup worked fine, until today, and it's working fine
again now, after I got the above messgae...

I have only a single drive connected as ad0, and I was using it
yesterday under 4.0 mounted as /usr/obj with no problems.  I had
used it beofre that under 3.4 for the same, but I don't remember
the steps I went through to get to 4.0 yesterday.

Well, I powered down my machine (which has a da0 root drive with both
3.4 and 4.0 available) after no problems, then powered it up just an
hour or so ago, booting straight into 4.0.  Then I proceded to try
and mount /dev/ad0s1f on /usr/obj, got an I/O error, and noticed
the above on the console.

After boggling at this for a while and realizing I was getting
nowhere in continuing my buildworld without /usr/obj, I decided to
boot into 3.4 to see if it had problems with the disk, or if I had
a new doorstop.

Worked fine under 3.4, so back into 4.0, where it again worked fine
with fdisk, disklabel, and finally mount.  So...

If you want more info, that I can provide, although I would probably
first verify it's a problem I can reproduce by powering up into 4.0,
and that it doesn't happen when going from 3.4 into 4.0, which I have
not tested apart from this one time that failed.

This kernel is just over a day old now, and my `me too' post has a
happy ending for the moment, I guess...

details on request, otherwise consider this a datapoint-me-too

yrz, barry bouwsma

--

     *** This was posted with the express permission of ***