Date:      Wed, 09 Jun 1999 16:30:23 -0600
From:      Todd Anderson <grifter@toolshed.ab.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Seemingly random rebooting

	hello every once and a while i feel the need to look at my FreeBSD
computers screen to see if any errors are on the screen.  When i move the
mouse to turn off the screensaver there are alot of random characters on
the screen.  After about 5 seconds the computer reboots without unmounting
the filesystem.

	All of my internet access runs though this machine and seems to work right
up untill the computer reboots.

	im some cases i have turned off the screensaver and seen that the
mailserver has printed a message on the screen for each and every email
that has bounced.  After this the computer runs out of memory (or somthing
similar) because the server will not work until rebooted.

	And on a totally different note My internet access is a cable modem that
uses DHCP.  But FreeBSD doesnt seem to support this so when i loose my IP i
take my modem to my windows machine and use it to retrieve the new IP.
Once i have written the new IP down i then move it back to the server and
hardcode the IP into the proper files and then contact the owner of my DNS
(the email automaticaly changes the records).  Anyway i dont like doing
this every time my IP changes, so my question is, can i get a DHCP client
for FreeBSD that will also automate the email sent to my DNS provider or at
least tell me when the IP has changed so i can get on top of the situation
and set up my domain again.

Thanks
- Todd Anderson (grifter)