Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:52:16 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Randell Jesup <rjesup@wgate.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Mike Sinz <msinz@wgate.com>, Bruce Bauman <bbauman@wgate.com>, iedowse@maths.tcd.ie
Subject:   Re: ELF and diskless boot

In message <Pine.NEB.3.96L.1010225101145.97061A-100000@fledge.watson.org>, Robe
rt Watson writes:

>I won't comment on the symbol stripping issue since I don't know
>much/anything about that, but I can comment that we're in the process of
>moving to using sysctl() for top and other kernel-grubbing utilities, when
>used on a live system.  top has already been changed to do this on
>-CURRENT, and patches to systat/dmesg/vmstat/... are in the wings.  While

The reason that these utilities fail when not using loader(8) is
that they depend on being able to look up static variables within
the kernel using kldsym(). I think symbols declared as static end
up with debugging information, so are only made available through
some loader magic.

It would be possible to go around the tree, removing the `static'
from all symbols that are used by libkvm utilities - I've tried
this, and it certainly fixes the problem with etherbooted kernels.
It might also be possible to hack libkvm to try the old-style symbol
lookup mechanism if kldsym fails to find a symbol.

However, the move towards using sysctl() instead of libkvm will
solve this problem completely. Thanks to Thomas Moestl and others
who have done the work to make this happen!

Ian