Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:46:09 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Google Chrome

On Tuesday 02 September 2008, Vlad GURDIGA wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 12:14 AM, Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 02 September 2008, Vlad GURDIGA said:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> In Google Chrome System requirements
> >> (http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95411&to
> >>pic=14660) they say that a Linux version is going to appear. And in
> >> the "Download and install" help article
> >> (http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95346&qu
> >>ery=open-source&topic=&type=) they say that it is open-source.
> >>
> >> Does this mean that is hope we'll have a FreeBSD version?
> >
> > If someone steps up and rolls and submits the port. You're welcome to
> > volunteer :-)
>
> I'd be glad to, but I'm afraid I do not have the skills for that... :-(

It won't be trivial to port. Last night I got as far as installing the
recommended versions of the dependencies (including nspr and nss a version
ahead of what's currently in ports). The chromium build script assumes the
existence of /proc and /bin/bash. I stopped trying for now when I
discovered that it doesn't even run "configure" for some of the third-party
tools. It uses canned header files generated for Linux or Mac..

JN