Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2004 09:21:18 +0200
From:      Roman Kennke <roman@ontographics.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: RELEASE_X_Y_Z branches/tags maintained??

Am Mo, den 25.10.2004 schrieb Mark Linimon um 8:52:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Roman Kennke wrote:

> > > No.
> >
> > Hmm, wouldn't this be a good thing to do, especially on production
> > machines?
>
> This question comes up once or twice a year.  It is _possible_ that
> it would be a good thing to do ... given infinite manpower, which we
> don't have.  What we do have is almost 12k ports * 12 build environments
> (cross product of major release * chip architecture).
>
> Even with just maintaining one single line of development for ports,
> we aren't managing all that coverage, and we aren't making headway
> on getting the number of PRs down (we were making slow progress until
> the freeze, but we gained 200 during that time.)  We're only getting
> somewhere around 95% of the i386 ports, 90% of the amd64 and sparc64
> ports, and we are having trouble with the alpha build machines.
>
> Oh yeah, and 3153 ports with no maintainer, which is another problem
> altogether :-)

So it is the old problem of quantity vs. quality :-/ I would help out if
I had time and knowledge.
 Are these problems documented somewhere (e.g. a list of unmaintained
ports, ...) ? Is there someone screaming: "hey, we have problems, please
help out!" or "please fix known problems before adding new ones (== new
ports)"

/Roman