Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:39:59 -0500
From:      "Peter Avalos" <pavalos@theshell.com>
To:        "Bill Fumerola" <billf@chimesnet.com>, "Stephen Hocking" <shocking@houston.rr.com>
Cc:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Getting Linux NIS to work with FreeBSD NIS servers

Actually Linux machines "can" handle MD5 passwords. Most likely, the problem
is that you haven't merged the hashed passwords into the passwd.* maps.

From /var/yp/Makefile:

# If you want to use a FreeBSD NIS server to serve non-FreeBSD clients
# (i.e. clients who expect the password field in the passwd maps to be
# valid) then uncomment this line. This will cause $YPDIR/passwd to
# be generated with valid password fields. This is insecure: FreeBSD
# normally only serves the master.passwd maps (which have real encrypted
# passwords in them) to the superuser on other FreeBSD machines, but
# non-FreeBSD clients (e.g. SunOS, Solaris (without NIS+), IRIX, HP-UX,
# etc...) will only work properly in 'unsecure' mode.
#
UNSECURE = "True"

Peter Avalos
TheShell.com