Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:16:55 +1000
From:      "Young" <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
To:        <jesper.b@home.se>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Access && Modem

I'm a relative newbie to this stuff too so I can only provide very limited
assistance
with setup stuff. I had a devil of a problem getting modem dialup working at
all, even
after reading everything known to mankind. The Pedantic PPP Primer is easily
the most intelligible doc I'm aware of, and most of the other ppp related
docs linked to http://www.free.bsd.org, are probably worth a read, but they
weren't anywhere near explicit or relevant enough to my situation to help me
get the thing working.   Even after trying every possible combination &
permutation of configurations I couldn't get ping, traceroute, or lynx to
work and had completely run out of ideas. The thing that finally helped me
get it online with ping, traceroute & lynx working was a shell script from
ftp://flag.blackened.net, ,but it certainly wasn't the end to the troubles.

Apparently that script enables something called "auto mode", which is
something suited to
yankee conditions but not Australian ones, so now I'm trying to figure out
the rather obtuse comments in the ppp.conf.sample file so I can disable an
idletimer which insists on breaking the connection the instant no data is
moving.  I don't know how your phone system works in Sweden, or what sort of
ISP account you have, but that will determine what ppp mode you will need to
use.

A lot of experts frown on internal modems, however I've had no trouble at
all with them so its more a matter of choice than anything else. With 56k
internal ones however, you do need to be certain you haven't got one of the
ones designed specifically for Windows, as those ones typically won't work
in any other operating system.

I haven't tried copying files from / to a DOS partition in BSD, but in linux
its easy enough if you tell the system about the partition during
installation and you install a 20th century window type manager like KDE so
you can just "drag & drop" files from A to B. With CLI mode its another
story entirely and something I avoid  like the plague. My BSD machine is
only a CLI one as its only used as a gateway / router, and for that matter
I've seen many total lockups in KDE / linux to speak highly of it personally
.... maybe its OK in BSD, but not something I've had reason to investigate.
My desktop machines run Win98 / 2000 / Solaris which do what i need quite
well leaving the BSD one to do what I guess it should do quite well.