Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 2009 02:43:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Up grading ports, Xorg et all

I messed up a KDE 3.5.10 trying to install firefox3 so I thought I would attempt
to upgrade using portupgrade and/or portmaster. After a lot of work I think I am
back to if you use KDE the only way to upgrade is to start afresh.

At this point I thought I would try Xorg 7.4. I did a "pkg_delete -a" and
"pkg_add -r xorg". This was a complete disaster. After trying all the
configuration options, tips etc in the handbook, google et all, I decided my 3+
year old thinkpad was just not supported so I composed a "can anyone help me"
email to questions. This went off into the ether through user error.

While I was waiting for help I thought I would try installing Xorg from an iso
image. The resulting install worked out of the box using the last variation of
xorf.conf I had tried. I am left to assume that what I got from pkg_add does not
fit together. Obviously my earlier attempts to get an xorg.conf file worked
fine. The code did not. As a thought to the Xorg, I do not think the unbundling
makes things more stable. Xfree86 was bad enough (so I thought) with its couple
of dozen (or so) components. Starting from scratch I now have 204 ports and two
versions of python just to run twm. Given that some number of the 204 component
are under active development using pkg_add seems out of the question. The second
version of python came in because I could not find xdm in the 7.2-release disk1
iso so I did a pkg_add on xdm.

Aside from venting a bit, my message is the Xorg set from a release iso probably
has a better chance of working if you run into problems. I do not own or have
access to any systems that could build Xorg or KDE in less than a month so I
am clueless if building from source would have worked any better.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com
support@safeport.com